It’s Wellness Wednesday again and today I’m talking about wellness on the go for busy women at work. In our everyday routine of managing work and home, being Moms and partners, making time for yourself has taken a back seat. A lot of women find it harder to sustain a fitness routine along with managing all their multiple roles. The first step is to understand that you are forgetting to take care of yourself and making a plan and little time for self-care. But here some things which you can do during the day to keep you going.
- Water – Don’t forget to drink water at regular intervals. At a meeting or while you’re working on a report or on a con call keep that bottle with you at all times and remember to drink up. If you find it difficult to cart around a bottle, make sure you have a water break every couple of hours. Set an alarm every hour or use an app to remind you. And when you’re feeling really tired and sluggish at work drink a glass of cold water, it will wake you up.
- Green Tea – Try to have a cup of green tea if you like it during the day. Make it a Zen moment and practise deep breathing for a minute to begin with whilst stopping for a tea break. The benefits of green tea are numerous but the most important one is that it is loaded with polyphenols like catechin and flavonoids which function as anti-oxidants and means they reduce the formation of free radicals in the body, protecting the cells from Damage.
- Walk – Take a 5 min break every hour and take a quick walk around. Nope don’t use that 5 minutes to make a call. No matter how focussed you are you still need to take a break and walking about a bit will loosen up those muscles. It will also give your brain a chance to process everything you’re working with. If you’re stuck in a meeting sitting long hours do some seated warm up exercises discreetly. Check here for some tips.
- Healthy snacking – This needs a little planning but it will make you feel better about yourself. Plan your snacks at work and make it work overtime as your health supplement too. Pack a handful of mixed nuts especially almonds, walnuts, roasted flaxseeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds in little box. When you feel like ordering in a doughnut for your evening snack reach for this. Or if you know your lunch is delayed you can have your snack. Pack a couple of energy bars although they can loaded with sugar, fruits – make this your 2 portions of fruit a day, grab some tender coconut water, peanut butter spread over an apple, bread sticks or cheese wedges. Carry this every day to work like a mini snack bar and top up the next day. This also ensures that you don’t starve yourself between lunch until dinner and helps keep your blood sugar stable.
- Lunch – Enjoy your lunch, carry a packed lunch and make sure it’s something you like and enjoy, try to keep it healthy or at least make sure you practise portion control. Carry it in a nice box, a little napkin and nice cutlery. Even if you have just 20 minutes, try and find a peaceful place and eat mindfully.
- Breathe – Take a few minutes in the day to stop and breathe or do this when you get home before you sleep.
Try and do something that gives you joy everyday like snuggling with your babies or playing with your pet or watch a funny video on Youtube for a laugh. Keep yourself in focus whilst managing all your other roles. Wellness is about Mental, Emotional and Physical well being.